Saturday, January 17, 2015

WOMM = Word Of Mouth Marketing

I started to write a post a week ago, wrote a paragraph, came back, wrote another one, and then left it until today. I realized that the reason I was so unmotivated to write this is because it was turning out super dry and BORING! If I don't want to write it, who is going to want to read it!

So - WOMM, how does it work? Well, basically I sign-up with a company (I'll have links to the ones I currently use later in this post), they send me a product (s) to try out, I try it out, and then gab about my experience to my social circle and occasionally host a party featuring the product. There are guidelines and "challenges" to follow and a final "report" to file (which usually isn't too arduous). My compensation tends to be: the product, points toward gift cards and things, entries into drawings for prizes and gift cards, or various other items.

The Word of Mouth Marketing companies that I belong to are contracted by companies looking to maximize on WOMM. What's in it for these companies? Inexpensive marketing utilizing WOMM, consumer input, occasional focus group data, and potential new customers - all at a significantly lower cost than traditional marketing.

The first WOMM company that I signed up with was Crowdtap - in the beginning they were pretty awesome and compensated you with cold hard cash. However, as they grew and gained new members the compensation is fairly sucky. That being said, I still actively participate with Crowdtap as I enjoy the products I get to sample and the occasional Amazon gift cards I win. The best free item I've received from any of the companies came from Crowdtap - a Windows 8X cell phone and $75 gift card to use for party supplies/eats.

My current favorite is Bzzagent. The reporting process is super simple and I've been able to try a lot of fun products that I might not normally have purchased.

I also participate with Influenster - they send out what they call Voxboxes. My boys are really enjoying my current sample from them but that's for another post.

I've been participating with WOMM companies for several years now and I definitely recommend it if you like trying new products (or businesses) out and sharing your honest opinions!

How about you, do you use any of these companies? Do you have a favorite that I haven't listed?


2 comments: