Saturday, January 24, 2015

How I "fixed" a hole in my shirt




I recently had a traumatic ironing experience. Last month I bought a shirt that I love, the front of it is made of polyester - which can't be successfully ironed so I was steaming it with my iron and I TOUCHED IT with the iron!!!! Aahhhhhhh! My new favorite, twice worn shirt, is ruined!!


I gotta' cop to having thrown a teeny bit of a hissy fit and tearfully (OK, not tearfully, it's not like I spilt milk) threw the shirt into my closet...where it taunted me every time I walked in.
Since we don't have a money tree and the holes are in a totally noticeable place, I resigned myself to the idea that I'd probably have to pitch my new shirt with no hope of a replacement.

But then, I saw this blog post on Pinterest and thought that I could adapt her idea (her flowers are a bit too foofy for me) and somehow use the flowers to cover up the holes in my shirt!

I dug through my scrap basket and found two fabrics that I like together. Using two different sized mugs, I traced circles onto the reverse side of the fabric and cut out 7 circles.



I cut 6 semi-even slices into each circle and rounded off the edges to create a flat flower with 6 petals.


Now, the fun (and probably toxic) part - using pliers (a blister on my finger demands that I emphasize the necessity of these) hold each petal next to an open flame until the fabric begins to melt and curl up in a petal-like fashion. Repeat for each petal on every flower using the pliers to keep the rest of the flower out of the flame and wax.


I then laid out the flowers in a cascade that covered the two gashes on my shirt and stitched them, in random places, to the shirt. 


Tah dah, the finished product! While I prefer the shirt without any foofoo on it, I'm pleased with the finished result. This isn't permanent so if I decide that I want to try something different in the future, I can easily snip off the thread and remove the flowers.







                    


No comments:

Post a Comment